top of page

Validity and Reliability of the Brief Scale of Alcohol Dependence (BEDA) on Teenagers


Abstract The Brief Scale of Alcohol Dependence (BEDA) has shown validity and reliability on previous studies. Despite the frequent use in treatment programs for addictions, there are gaps on its psychometric properties and diagnostic efficiency on the teenage population. This study conducted analysis of construct validity of the Brief Scale of Alcohol Dependence and its relation to attitudes towards an accident prevention program for young people in Sonora. 838 high school students (Cecytes) from Hermosillo participated, including students from second, fourth and sixth semesters. 54% are male, while the rest (46%) are female, with an average age of 16 and a SD of 1, with a minimum age of 15 and a maximum of 19. Results show that the scale meets the statistical criteria that proves its validity and supports its use on the teenage population. Results support the hypothesis of the scale having evidence of validity and reliability, which justifies its use in research and in the creation of indicators of alcohol consumption in young people.

Keywords: validity and reliability, brief scale, alcohol dependence

Discussion The need to value health or conditions of well being in the population, regardless of age or social distinction, is a priority for governments, with population surveys being one of the most efficient strategies. Surveys, on the other hand, must have some very important features, such as: validity, reliability, and prompt resolution (Villatoro-Velázquez et al., 2015). The results support the hypothesis that the scale shows evidence of validity and reliability, which justify its use in research and creating indicators of alcohol consumption in young people. The value of the scale is reinforced by the solidity of the studies that report the existence of indicators in the adult population (Gómez, Gómez, Pérez, & Morales, 2009). On the other hand, small correlations between the dimensions of attitude, which manifestknowledge about the designated driver program, assert that it is of little importance how much is known aboutthe program and that its relation with consumption is scant and in a directly proportional sense. This suggeststhat the more is known about the program, the greater the alcohol consumption is. While this is beneficial,because car accidents are reduced, addictions can be brought up among young people.Although the findings suggest that the scale is a valuable tool for measuring the construct, it must be stated that ithas limitations, being that only the usual items were worked with. In this sense it is recommended to write newitems that are related to the socialization of young people nowadays.

Tanori, J., Bautista, G., Vera, J., Valdes, A., Acosta, C., Hernandez, D. (2017) Validity and Reliability of the Brief Scale of Alcohol Dependence (BEDA) on Teenagers. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology; Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 36-41.

Imagen: https://unsplash.com/search/alcohol?photo=_1h39ZUXDbE

34 visualizaciones0 comentarios
bottom of page